We are forgiven in Christ as the first step into a new life of purpose. Yet we can be worn down by self-doubt when we linger in past mistakes. Bad choices will try to remind us of negative results as we try to climb out of the doubt and even try to convince us no greatness lies ahead. This is a waste of our time. The reason why is simple: We need to apply the lessons we’ve learned from our past to new challenges today. In God’s word, He states clear “I am about to do something new. (Isaiah 43:19)”. Join me as we learn how to disarm 3 traps that create self-doubt.
First trap that creates self-doubt: Idols
A short example of mine is a pastor I went to on guidance about a spiritual gift let me down when he didn’t take me seriously. When I was dropped and my seeking guidance treated as a joke I realized the pastor had been an idol to me. God in chapter 44 of Isaiah says “Who is like me? Let him step forward and prove to you his power. Let him do as I have done since ancient times…” He goes on to say “The person who made the idol never stops to reflect..” Reflection comes too late after the hurt when doubt has planted its seeds.
Rooting our doubt takes time because continuing to pursue our goal seems pointless. We become deluded and think “If so and so had helped me I would be more confident.” Why let a human hold you back? God is our father, power source, and all loving creator who longs to see us do well. He has greatness in store for us if we will just choose to keep going. When doubt begins to nag at you try some of the ideas below to remind you that God is all you need to succeed and will send help when it is needed.
- Write the promises of God on note cards to reinforce Gods word in your heart.
- Pray for opportunities to prove those useless idols wrong and meditate on what your success looks like.
- Try new techniques to create growth and have fun learning, don’t focus on the end goal. Enjoy your journey!
- Make a list of I Am statements (ex. I am a daughter/son of the king, I am powerful through Christ, I am loved by almighty God, I am equipped for success).
- Know you are not alone in how you feel. There are tons of people who struggle with self -doubt.
Let me know in the comments or on Facebook how you combat self-doubt in your life. Join me again for how to disarm Failure.
Blessing and Peace- Randa 🙂